Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Poet on the Scene:Carlos Andres Gomez to present new double album

Sphere: Related Content I just received an email from Michael Rosen of the Bowery Poetry Club tipping me off to an awesome event that I plan to hike my ass all the way from NJ to see.

Check out the press release:


*Carlos Gomez Grabs “Fate by the Throat” at Bowery Poetry Club*

Bowery Poetry Club presents the release of renowned spoken word artist/slam poet Carlos Andres Gomez’s new double album, “Fate by the Throat”. *August 23* at 7:00 PM, Bowery Poetry Club (308 Bowery between Houston and Bleecker; /F train to //2nd Ave//, 6 to Bleecker), /$12

Gomez, a stand-out, acclaimed poet on both the New York City slam scene as well as the national college circuit, has been featured on HBO’s Def Poetry Jam and played a prominent role in Spike Lee’s “Inside Man” alongside Denzel Washington and Clive Owen.

He will be giving a full-length, feature performance of his work-to-date including material from “Fate by the Throat,” his sophomore album which includes both studio and live cuts of over 20 new poems.

Hosting between 20 and 30 shows a week the Bowery Poetry Club (BPC) is proud of our place in the lineage of populist art: the Yiddish theater, burlesque, vaudeville, beat poetry, jazz, and punk that gave the Bowery its name. Located in “HoBo” at the corner of Houston and Bowery.

For more information please go to bowerypoetry.com

Below is footage of Gomez on HBO's Def Poetry Jam performing "What's Genocide"



You can check out his website here: http://www.carloslive.com/

I know, I know. You can thank me later for turning you on to this shit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about I thank you now?

Oh my god! He is amazing! After watching the video I went on Youtube and stayed up to 1 am watching all the videos of him. I freaking cried for some of them!

Thanks.

Choice bit of Calico said...

Seriously! I thought he was fantastic too. I'm glad you liked it.